Re: issue with internal bitmaps

Bill Davidsen wrote:

Neil Brown wrote:

On Thursday July 6, bluca@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
hello, i just realized that internal bitmaps do not seem to work
anymore.

I cannot imagine why.  Nothing you have listed show anything wrong
with md...

Maybe you were expecting
  mdadm -X /dev/md100
to do something useful.  Like -E, -X must be applied to a component
device.  Try
  mdadm -X /dev/sda1

To take this from the other end, why should -X apply to a component? Since the components can and do change names, and you frequently mention assembly by UUID, why aren't the component names determined from the invariant array name when mdadm wants them, instead of having a user or script check the array to get the components?

Boy, I didn't say that well... what I meant to suggest is that when -E or -X are applied to the array as a whole, would it not be useful to itterate them over all of the components rather than than looking for non-existant data in the array itself?

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc

-