Re: Multiple raids on one machine?

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Chris Allen wondered:
> Nix wrote:
>> There is a third alternative which can be useful if you have a mess of
>> drives of widely-differing capacities: make several RAID arrays so as to tesselate
>> space across all the drives, and then pile an LVM on the top of all of them to
>> fuse them back into one again.
>
> But won't I be stuck with the same problem? ie I'll have a single 12TB
> lvm, and won't be able to use EXT3 on it?

Not without ext3 patches (until the very-large-ext3 patches now pending
on l-k go in), sure. But because it's LVMed you could cut it into a couple
of exg3 filesystems easily. (I find it hard to imagine a single *directory*
whose children contain 12Tb of files in a form that you can't cut into
pieces with suitable use of bind mounts, but still, perhaps such exists.)

--
`NB: Anyone suggesting that we should say "Tibibytes" instead of
 Terabytes there will be hunted down and brutally slain.