Re: Multiple raids on one machine?

Nix wrote:
On 25 Jun 2006, Chris Allen uttered the following:
Back to my 12 terabyte fileserver, I have decided to split the storage
into four partitions each of 3TB. This way I can choose between XFS
and EXT3 later on.

So now, my options are between the following:

1. Single 12TB /dev/md0, partitioned into four 3TB partitions. But how do
I do this? fdisk won't handle it. Can GNU Parted handle partitions this big?

2. Partition the raw disks into four partitions and make /dev/md0,md1,md2,md3.
But am I heading for problems here? Is there going to be a big performance hit
with four raid5 arrays on the same machine? Am I likely to have dataloss problems
if my machine crashes?

There is a third alternative which can be useful if you have a mess of
drives of widely-differing capacities: make several RAID arrays so as to tesselate
space across all the drives, and then pile an LVM on the top of all of them to
fuse them back into one again.

But won't I be stuck with the same problem? ie I'll have a single 12TB lvm, and won't be able to use EXT3 on it?
-