Re: Large single raid and XFS or two small ones and EXT3?

Adam Talbot wrote:

Not exactly sure how to tune for stripe size. What would you advise?
-Adam

See the -R option of mke2fs. I don't have a number for the performance impact of this, but I bet someone else on the list will. Depending on what posts you read, reports range from "measurable" to "significant," without quantifying.

Note, next month I will set up either a 2x750 RAID-1 or 4x250 RAID-5 array, and if I got RAID-5 I will have the chance to run some metrics before putting the hardware into production service. I'll report on the -R option if I have any data.

Bill Davidsen wrote:
winspeareAdam Talbot wrote:

OK, this topic I relay need to get in on.
I have spent the last few week bench marking my new 1.2TB, 6 disk, RAID6
array. I wanted real numbers, not "This FS is faster because..." I have
moved over 100TB of data on my new array running the bench mark
testing.  I have yet to have any major problems with ReiserFS, EXT2/3,
JFS, or XFS.  I have done extensive testing on all, including just
trying to break the file system with billions of 1k files, or a 1TB
file. Was able to cause some problems with EXT3 and RiserFS with the 1KB
and 1TB tests, respectively. but both were fixed with a fsck. My basic
test is to move all data from my old server to my new server
(whitequeen2) and clock the transfer time.  Whitequeen2 has very little
storage.  The NAS's 1.2TB of storage is attached via iSCSI and a cross
over cable to the back of whitequeen2.  The data is 100GB of user's
files(1KB~2MB), 50GB of MP3's (1MB~5MB) and the rest is movies and
system backups 600MB~2GB.  Here is a copy of my current data sheet,
including specs on the servers and copy times, my numbers are not
perfect, but they should give you a clue about speeds...  XFS wins.

In many (most?) cases I'm a lot more concerned about filesystem
stability than performance. That is, I want the fastest <reliable>
filesystem. With ext2 and ext3 I've run multiple multi-TB machines
spread over four time zones, and not had a f/s problem updating ~1TB/day.

Did you tune the extN filesystems to the stripe size of the raid?

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc

-