Re: Is shrinking raid5 possible?

This is shrinking an array by removing drives.  We were talking about
shrinking an array by reducing the size of drives - a very different
think.

Yes I know - I just wanted to get this in as an alternative shrinking semantic.

As for reducing the RAID (partition) size on the individual drives I
can only see two reasons:

1) One wants to replace / add a disk but the new disk is slightly
smaller than the existing ones. Actual capacity varies a lot for the
same nominal capacity, especially across brands.

2) One wants to do something else with some of the space, although for
a RAID5 I don't quite see the point - you'd end up with n small
partitions. Shrinking a 2-way mirror or stripe this way sounds far
more useful.

Having RAID tightly integrated with volume management and partitions
would be nice, but that's a pipe dream. (EVMS just integrates the UI
somewhat, you still have to mess about with layers.)

I'm not sure it is really worth the effort I'm afraid.

Neither am I ... it just would have come in handy a few times, that's all.

Thanks,

C.
-