Re: RAID5E

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 04:27:54PM +0200, Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
> On Wed, 31 May 2006, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> >Where I was working most recently some systems were using RAID5E (RAID5
> >with both the parity and hot spare distributed). This seems to be highly
> >desirable for small arrays, where spreading head motion over one more
> >drive will improve performance, and in all cases where a rebuild to the
> >hot spare will avoid a bottleneck on a single drive.
> >
> >Is there any plan to add this capability?
>
> What advantage does that have over raid6? You use exactly as many drives
> (n+2), with the disadvantage of having to do a rebuild without parity when
> a drive fails and a raid failure at a double disk failure.

Advantage:
- Easier to calculate the checksum (RAID5 XOR instead of a generator
  polynome with RAID6)
- Higher throughput compared to standard RAID5
- Actually uses the hot spare

Disadvantage:
- Doesn't protect against double disk failures, but RAID5 also doesn't

Note that you could also do RAID6E.

Erik

--
+-- Erik Mouw -- www.harddisk-recovery.com -- +31 70 370 12 90 --