Re: Can't get drives containing spare devices to spindown

Did I miss an answer to this? As the weather gets hotter I'm doing all I can to reduce heat.

Marc L. de Bruin wrote:

Lo,

Situation: /dev/md0, type raid1, containing 2 active devices (/dev/hda1 and /dev/hdc1) and 2 spare devices (/dev/hde1 and /dev/hdg1).

Those two spare 'partitions' are the only partitions on those disks and therefore I'd like to spin down those disks using hdparm for obvious reasons (noise, heat). Specifically, 'hdparm -S <value> <device>' sets the standby (spindown) timeout for a drive; the value is used by the drive to determine how long to wait (with no disk activity) before turning off the spindle motor to save power.

However, it turns out that md actually sort-of prevents those spare disks to spindown. I can get them off for about 3 to 4 seconds, after which they immediately spin up again. Removing the spare devices from /dev/md0 (mdadm /dev/md0 --remove /dev/hd[eg]1) actually solves this, but I have no intention actually removing those devices.

How can I make sure that I'm actually able to spin down those two spare drives?

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc

-