Re: Removing a RAID 1 setting without loosing data

On Sat, 13 May 2006, Raúl Gómez Cabrera wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a installed a system (mail server) wich had a RAID 1 (software)
> with two SCSI Disk running on Linux. The sdb disk has failed a few month
> ago and the system is still working as expected.
>
> Since the failure of the disk I've looking for a replacement, but so far
> I cannot find a new one to replace it.
>
> My client (who owns the system) ask me to simply remove the failed disk
> and the RAID settings, but I'm not sure if I just simply remove
> the /dev/md0 from the fstab and from the bootloader and point the / to
> the sda1 (a Linux RAID partition).
>
> Anyone can help me with this situation???

I'd just halt the server and remove the failed disk and would leave all
the RAID stuff in-place as theres no need to remove it, really. It sounds
like your client thinks there might be issues, but there really shouldn't
be any. (nor performance issues either)

Why can't you find a replacement disk? You can always put in a bigger one
if neccessary...

Gordon
-