Re: Using LVM for RAID 1+0

On Wednesday April 19, ewan.grantham@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On 4/19/06, Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > You haven't been following the list have you ..... ;-)
> >
> > mdadm-2.4.1 plus linux-2.6.17 (or any -rc) can grow a raid5.
> > Just add a spare drive and
> >    mdadm --grow /dev/mdX --raid-disks=N+1
>
> Actually I had, but I thought I understood this was extremely
> experimental. Does this mean it's considered accepted/acceptable? In
> which case, the fact that I'm using a 2.6.15 kernel and mdadm 1.12.0
> (June 2005) (is that version number possibly right?) suggest I need to
> do a little tool updating so I can try this out. I presume that I can
> upgrade mdadm and then do the grow - or do I need to upgrade and
> rebuild the array with the upgraded tool before I can use the grow
> option? How much risk do I have of data loss doing this?

I think it has transitioned from "Extremely experimental" to
"Experimental".

If should be safe, and if anything does go wrong, I'm sure I can pick
up the pieces for you.

But yes, you'll need a tool upgrade.
1.12.0 was the last of the '1' series.
2.4.1 is the latest and is required for raid5 resize.
Also, you will need 2.6.17-rc1 or later. And you'll need to select
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL and the config option to enable raid5 reshaping.

You don't need to "upgrade" the array at all, or rebuild it or
anything.

Risk of data loss is very low.  I believe the code is correct and
reliable, but until a wide variety of people test it and report
success, it is hard to be certain.  And as I said, if you do have
problem (other than multiple drive failures), I'll do my best to
stitch things back together for you.

NeilBrown
-