Using LVM for RAID 1+0

Had though of setting up several disks as a RAID-5 array, but for some
reason one of the disks would keep failing when I tried to build the
array. The same disk, however, would format just fine with EXT3, and
is quite happy about being put in a RAID-1 array with another disk.
Given that strangeness, I'm thinking a better way to go is to pair off
my disks into several RAID-1 arrays, and then use LVM to setup
striping across all of them to effectively give me a RAID 1+0 setup.
Since one pair of disks is a different size than the other pairs, I
presumed this would be better than actually creating a RAID-0 across
all the RAID-1 arrays. Is that correct?
-