Re: A failed-disk-how-to anywhere?

Martin Stender wrote:
Hi there!

I have two identical disks sitting on a Promise dual channel IDE controller. I guess both disks are primary's then.

One of the disks have failed, so I bought a new disk, took out the failed disk, and put in the new one. That might seem a little naive, and apparently it was, since the system won't boot up now.
It boots fine, when only the old, healthy disk is connected.

By the way, all three partitions are raided - including /boot ...

Anyway, I have removed the old disk from the Raid with:
#mdadm /dev/mdo --remove /dev/hde1
#mdadm /dev/md1 --remove /dev/hde2
#mdadm /dev/md2 --remove /dev/hde3

- but the the problem persists.

I can't seem to find a decent 'How-To' - so how it this supposed to be done?

A little more info would be helpful. How does the machine boot? How are your other disks configured?
Are you booting off the Promise board or on-board controller (making assumptions given your promise appears to contain hde, I'm assuming hd[abcd] are on board somewhere..)

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark now..

My initial thought would be you have hde and hdg in a raid-1 and nothing on the on-board controllers. hde has failed and when you removed it your controller tried the 1st disk it could find (hdg) to boot of.. Bingo.. away we go. You plug a new shiny disk into hde and now the controller tries to boot off that, except it's blank and therefore a no-go.

I'd either try and force the controller to boot off hdg (which might be a controller bios option) or swap hde & hdg.. then it might boot and let you create your partitions on hdg and then add it back into the mirror.

How close did I get ?

Brad
-