Re: Auto-assembling arrays using mdadm

I definitely wish to do this, that's why I'm asking.
I assume your statement refers to the general
usefulness of what I am asking for.

As to why I wish to implement this functionality, well
you can tell that I am not targetting this at your
average user's PC.  Not to be too secretive, but think
along the lines of something more appliance like.
Amongst the requirements that I have for the system
that I am constructing, I must deal with installing
RAID sets that come from other boxes.  I need to be
able to automatically start up existing RAID arrays on
drive sets that have migrated over without needing to
have any a priori knowledge of the RAID arrays that
might exist on the drives.

In any case, your suggestion of a new flag to output
unique device names from mdadm --examine (using UUID
of array) sounds like an acceptable solution.  Please
consider adding it.

I assume that using "--auto=md" when assembling will
currently not take care of minor number conflicts in
the config file?

Thanks,
Sean