Re: 4 disks: RAID-6 or RAID-10 ..

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> I agree, but it's easier to configure to keep going with a dead drive
> than fan in many enclosures. You seem to have more heat tolerance and
> monitoring than many installations. And you have done testing on the
> heat issues, another unusual thing.

I got caught out a few years ago with a case-fan failing, and I've seen a
1U box almost catch-fire, so I'm very paranoid now! I'm also fortunate in
that the data centre I use allows me to host tower style PCs rather than
the usual 1 or 2U boxes, so I can build boxes with lots of room inside
that don't auto-roast on fan failure!

Although in a few months time I'll be looking to host some stuff
elsewhere, where space is at a premium, and therefore it's going to be 1
or 2U based servers, so it'll be an intersting diversion...

Cheers,

Gordon
-