Re: 4 disks: RAID-6 or RAID-10 ..

Gordon Henderson wrote:

I'm building a little test server and I wanted ~500GB of storage with
2-drive redundancy, so the best price vs. num. drives vs. the need for 2
drive redundancy came to 4 x 250GB drives. (And I have a mobo with 5 SATA
ports, and taking into account case power requirements, etc. 4 drives has
worked out quiet well, and cheaper than 2 x 500GB drives!)

So RAID-6, which I have have been using for a year or so now with good
results, or RAID-10, which I've never used.

I suspect RAID-10 might give me more performance, not having the parity
calculations to do, but is it stable and reliable? I've not been paying
much attention to it recently ... (Servers intended use is what I
understand is termed 'LAMP' these days - Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP,
although it's going to be handling up to 10,000 emails a day too with spam
and virus checking)

Cheers,

Gordon
-

RAID-6 *will* give you your required 2-drive redundancy.
b-

-