Re: NVRAM support

Hi,

My intention was not to use a NVRAM device for swap.

Enterprise storage systems use NVRAM for better data protection/faster recovery in case of a crash. Modern CPUs can do RAID calculation very fast. But Linux RAID is vulnerable when a crash during a write operation occurs. E.g. Data and parity write requests are issued in parallel but only one finishes. This will lead to inconsistent data. It will be undetected and can not be repaired. Right?

How can journaling be implemented within linux-raid?

I have seen a paper that tries this in cooperation with a file system:
„Journal-guided Resynchronization for Software RAID“
www.cs.wisc.edu/adsl/Publications

But I would rather see a solution within md so that other file systems or LVM can be used on top of md.

Regards,
Mirko