Re: block level vs. file level

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 09:48:49AM +0100, PFC wrote:
> 	I suggest, when using software raid, to create partitions that are,
> 	say,  100 megabytes or even a gigabyte smaller than the size of the drive.
> You  lose a bit of space, but if you ever need to change one, you won't
> feel  stupid with a brand new drive that you can't use because it's a few
> sectors too short.

After my previous experience what I tend to do now is set aside
about 2GB on each disk to use as components of a RAID-0 that I use
for scratch space (/tmp or whatever, anything that I don't care
about losing) while the machine is running.

That way if I end up by bad luck getting a slightly smaller
replacement drive then I can just do away with or shrink its RAID-0
component while keeping the other partitions the same, yet the space
is not *totally* wasted.

--
http://strugglers.net/wiki/Xen_hosting -- A Xen VPS hosting hobby
Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB