Re: block level vs. file level

This also raises another point, which is relevant for both cases - same exact models of hard disks have different number of cylinders, so if a RAID partition is created on a larger drive it cannot be mirrored to a smaller drive.

I have a RAID5 with 5 250G drives, but some are 251 GiB (maxtors), some are 250.059 GiB (seagate)... say, if I started with 5 Seagates, I could later replace one of them with a Maxtor, but not the other way around, as the Seagate are just a tiny bit smaller.

	cfdisk says :

    sdb1      250994,42
    sdc1      250056,74

I suggest, when using software raid, to create partitions that are, say, 100 megabytes or even a gigabyte smaller than the size of the drive. You lose a bit of space, but if you ever need to change one, you won't feel stupid with a brand new drive that you can't use because it's a few sectors too short.

-