Re: Hard drive lifetime: wear from spinning up or rebooting vs running

Drives are probably going to have a lifetime that is proportionate to a
variety of things, and while I'm not a physicist or mechanical engineer,
nor in the hard disk business, the things that come to mind first are:

1) Thermal stress due to temperate changes - with more rapid changes
being more severe (expansion and contraction, I assume - viiz one of
those projectors or cars that run hot, and leave a fan running for a
while before fully powering off)

2) The amount of time a disk spends in a powered-off state (EG,
lubricants may congeal, and about every time my employer, UCI, has a
campus-wide power outage, -some- piece of equipment somewhere on campus
fails to come back up - probably due to thermal stress)

3) The number of times a disk goes to a powered-off state (thermal
stress again)

4) The amount of bumping around the disk undergoes, which may to an
extent be greater in disks that are surrounded by other disks, with
disks on the physical periphery of your RAID solution bumping around a
little less - those little rubber things that you screw the drive into
may help here.

5) The materials used in the platters, heads, servo, etc.

6) The number of alternate blocks for remapping bad blocks

7) The degree of tendency for a head crash to peel off a bunch of
material, or to just make a tiny scratch, and the degree of tendency for
scratched-off particles to bang into platters or heads later and scrape
off more particles - which can sometimes yield an exponential decay of
drive usability

8) How good the clean room(s) the drive was built in was/were

9) How good a drive is at parking the hards over unimportant parts of
the platters, when bumped, dropped, in an earth quake, when turned off,
etc.

If you want to be thorough with this, you probably want to employ some
materials scientists, some statisticians, get a bunch of different kinds
of drives and characterize their designs somehow, do multiple
longitudinal studies, hunt for correlations between drive attributes and
lifetimes, etc.

And I totally agree with a previous poster - this stuff may all change
quite a bit by the time the study is done, so it'd be a really good idea
to look for ways of increasing your characterizations longevity somehow,
possibly by delving down into individual parts of the drives and looking
at their lifetime.  But don't rule out holistic/chaotic effects
unnecessarily, even if "the light's better over here" when looking at
the reductionistic view of drives.

PS: Letting a drive stay powered without spinning is sometimes called a
"warm spare", while a drive that's spinning all the time even while not
in active use in a RAID array is called a "cold spare".

HTH :)

-