Re: Hard drive lifetime: wear from spinning up or rebooting vs running

On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 15:42 -0800, David Liontooth wrote:
> In designing an archival system, we're trying to find data on when it
> pays to power or spin the drives down versus keeping them running.
>
> Is there a difference between spinning up the drives from sleep and from
> a reboot? Leaving out the cost imposed on the (separate) operating
> system drive.
>
> Temperature obviously matters -- a linear approximation might look like
> this,
>
>      Lifetime = 60 - 12 [(t-40)/2.5]
>
> where 60 is the average maximum lifetime, achieved at 40 degrees C and
> below, and lifetime decreases by a year for every 2.5 degree rise in
> temperature.  Does anyone have an actual formula?
>
> To keep it simple, let's assume we keep temperature at or below what is
> required to reach average maximum lifetime. What is the cost of spinning
> up the drives in the currency of lifetime months?
>
> My guess would be that the cost is tiny -- in the order of minutes.
>
> Or are different components stressed in a running drive versus one that
> is spinning up, so it's not possible to translate the cost of one into
> the currency of the other?
>
> Finally, is there passive decay of drive components in storage?
>
> Dave

I read somewhere, still looking for the link, that the constant on/off
of a drive actually decrease's the drives lifespan due to the
heating/cooling of the bearings. It was actually determined to be best
to leave the drive spinning.

Brad Dameron
SeaTab Software
www.seatab.com