Re: Newbie questions: Max Active disks, RAID migration, Compiling mdadm 2.3

On Sunday February 5, ritchiem@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I can see what I did now. Very silly.
>
> I created a RAID 5 with 4 disks then went about hot adding disks.
> Silly me thinking it would increase the active space. Of course with
> the parity being shared through the active disks this doesn't makes
> sense.
>
> I was wanting to define a systematic way that I could start with a
> small number of disks and then expand the RAID as I needed more space
> (and could afford more disks).
>
> Is raidreconf the only way for reconfiguring a live system?

raidreconf doesn't allow you to reconfigure a live system - only an
inactive system.
But for the moment, that is the only way, yes.

In 2.6.17 or 2.6.18 it should be possible to restripe a raid5 to have
a larger number of devices.  This can happen while the array is in
active use.
The code is mostly written, and could be used today, but I don't
recommend it on valuable data yet as there are known bugs.

NeilBrown
-