Re: Problems with multiple Promise SATA150 TX4 cards

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Christopher Smith wrote:

Something else I tried was some crappy dual-port SIL-based SATA card with two of the Promise TX4s, and that worked without a problem. While I'm waiting to find out what this is, I might buy another one and use the two of them temporarily so I can build my RAID array, at least.

This suddenly sounds familiar from my experiences with Promise cards, but during the PATA days. Two cards worked fine, but adding a third made lots of strange problems appear. So my experience matches yours, max 2 promise cards in one machine.

This experience of strange and not strictly reproducable problems when it comes to both stability and drive detection made me stay away from buying more Promise cards in favour of "crappy" SIL-based SATA cards in the latest upgrade.

Unfortunately, this did not help stability that much, I'm currently hunting down a reproducable hard hang when doing raid action on the drives. So far reads with dd from the individual disk devices are fine (even from all at the same time), but dd from the raid5 over the disks hangs the system in an hour or so. But more regarding this in a separate thread when I have enough info to be useful and I'm sure the numbers are repeatable (unless someone finds preliminary findings really interesting).

/Mattias Wadenstein
-