Re: First RAID Setup

Brad Campbell wrote:

Callahan, Tom wrote:

It is always wise to build in a spare however, that being said about all
raid levels. In your configuration, if a disk fails in your RAID5, your
array will go down. RAID5 is usually 3+ disks, with a mirror. So you should
have 3 disks at minimum, and then a 4th as a spare.

/me wonders in the days of reliable RAID-6 why we use RAID-5 + spare?

RAID-6 has saved me twice now from dual drive failures on a 15 disk array. It's schweeeeeeeeeett

It's also a lot more overhead... RAID-5 needs to update just one parity block beyond the data written. As I understand the Q sum in RAID-6, and watching disk access rates, each write requires the entire stripe to be read, then P and Q calculated, then written. You can do the P with a read+write, but since you have to read the entire stripe for Q, you save a read by recalculating the P from data.

Did I say that right, Neil?

If you are seeing dual drive failures, I suspect your hardware has problems. We run multiple 3 and 6 TB databases, and over a dozen 1 TB data caching servers, all using a lot of small fast disk, and I haven't seen a real dual drive failure in about 8 years.

We did see some cases which looked like dual failures, it turned out to be a firmware limitation, controller not waiting for the bus to settle after a real failure, and thinking the next i/o had failed (or similar, in any case a false fail on the transaction after the real fail). If you run two PATA drives on the same cable in master/slave, it's at least possible that this could happen with consumer grade hardware as well. Just a thought, dual failures are VERY unlikely unless one triggers the other in some way, like failing the bus or cabinet power supply.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc

-