Re: First RAID Setup

On Thursday December 15, tobias.hofmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> <delurk>
>
> On 15.12.2005 21:46, Brad Campbell wrote:
> > Callahan, Tom wrote:
> >
> >> It is always wise to build in a spare however, that being said about all
> >> raid levels. In your configuration, if a disk fails in your RAID5, your
> >> array will go down. RAID5 is usually 3+ disks, with a mirror. So you
> >> should
> >> have 3 disks at minimum, and then a 4th as a spare.
> >
> > /me wonders in the days of reliable RAID-6 why we use RAID-5 + spare?
>
> Me too. ;) So, with holidays ahead, two questions (as I might tackle
> that soon and have not found it mentioned):
>
> - How would one "switch" from the latter to the former? Is there
> something like "grow_to_RAID_6"?

No... at least not yet....

> - Does RAID6 have disadvantages wrt write speed?

Probably.  I haven't done any measurements myself, but from a
theoretical standpoint, you would expect raid6 to impose more CPU load
(though that may not be noticeable) and as raid6 need to see the whole
stripe to update the P and Q blocks (it cannot do a subtract old, add
new update) there could well be more IO happening, particularly on
large arrays (>5 devices).

Of course, whether this caused noticeable reduction in throughput and
latency would be very workload-dependant.

NeilBrown

-