Re: raid5 write performance

Neil Brown (neilb@xxxxxxx) wrote on 19 November 2005 16:54:
 >There are two solutions to this silent corruption problem (other than
 >'ignore it and hope it doesn't bite' which is a fair widely used
 >solution, and I haven't seen any bite marks myself).

It happened to me several years ago when two disks failed almost
simultaneously due to scsi bus problems. I had to re-assemble the
array anyway and some files got corrupted :-( That's why I ended up
having each disk on an independent bus and cable...

 >One is journalling, as has been mentioned.  This could be done to a
 >mirrored pair, or to a ECC NVRAM card (the latter being probably the
 >best, though also most expensive).  You would write each data block as
 >it becomes available, and each parity block just before commencing a
 >write to the raid5.  Obviously you also keep track of what you have
 >written.
 >I have toyed with the idea of implementing this, but I think demand is
 >sufficiently low that it isn't worth it.
 >
 >The other is to use a filesystem that allows the problem to be avoided
 >by making sure that the only blocks that can be corrupted are dead
 >blocks.
 >This could be done with a copy-on-write filesystem that knows about the
 >raid5 geometry, and only ever writes to a stripe when no other blocks
 >on the stripe contain live data.
 >I've been working on a filesystem which does just this, and hope to
 >have it available in a year or two (it is a back-ground 'hobby'
 >project).

I think the demand for any solution to the unclean array is indeed low
because of the small probability of a double failure. Those that want
more reliability can use a spare drive that resyncs automatically or
raid6 (or both).
-