Re: number of global spares?

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 18:21 -0400, Mark Hahn wrote:
> > I've been working on a RAID setup with dual RAID controllers and
> > three expansion boxes - 48 disks in all, including data, parity and
> > global spares.
>
> the first question you should ask is whether you're actually
> winning by using HW raid.  yes, you already paid for it, but
> SW raid offers some noticably better flexibility.

Nod.  As well as better performance in many cases.

> > Please be sure to use a fixed-pitch font when viewing the tables found
> > below.  BTW, if people weren't so terrified of HTML, I could just make a
> > nice HTML table for easy reading without silly font requirements...
>
> it's not a matter of terror - many people still prefer ascii email.
> (naturally, we also use fixed-pitch fonts for this.)

Er, IMO it makes *ix folk look like hide bound traditionalists, which is
unfortunate, because *ix is a more capable vehicle for OS evolution.
HTML clearly has a great deal more expressive power - why fight it?

Even mutt can do a decent job of HTML rendering...

> > global spares: 0,16,32,48
> >
> > Raidset	Disks used	                  Data:parity ratio
> > 0	      1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10          9:1
> > 1	      11,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25	9:1
> > 2	      26,27,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40	9:1
> > 3	      41,42,43,49,50,51,52,53,54,55	9:1
> > 4	      56,57,58,59                   3:1
>
> why the magic numbers?  (5 raidsets, 9:1, etc)
> you have 48 disks and "dual RAID controllers" (one channel each?)
> in 3 boxes, but what are your actual constraints?

The vendor suggested 9+1's and 4 global spares.  Yes, one channel for
each RAID controller.  I'm going to pitch something like 4 8+1's though.

> also, if you have dual controllers, can you truely have global spares?
> that is, a controller can use a spare disk that it's not connected to?

So I hear.  Right now, we have one global spare per shelf, but the
vendor is advising we decrease the number of global spares.

> 9:1 is nothing to be scared of, though it means that to do a full-stripe
> write, you'll need quite large blocks.  I'd be tempted to use raid6
> rather than 5+spares, though.

I'd feel better about RAID 6, but...

> > And the vendor is suggesting that we move to something like:
> >
> > global spares: 0
> >
> > Raidset	Disks used	                  Data:parity ratio
> > 0	      1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10          9:1
> > 1	      11,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25	9:1
> > 2	      26,27,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40	9:1
> > 3	      41,42,43,49,50,51,52,53,54,55	9:1
> > 4	      56,57,58,59,16,32,48          3:1
>
> well, it just means that if you get a failure, you'll run in degraded
> mode for a while, which is a window of vulnerability.
>
> > ...or...:
> >
> > global spares: 0,16
> >
> > Raidset	Disks used	                  Data:parity ratio
> > 0	      1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10          9:1
> > 1	      11,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25	9:1
> > 2	      26,27,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40	9:1
> > 3	      41,42,43,49,50,51,52,53,54,55	9:1
> > 4	      56,57,58,59,32,48             3:1
>
> 2 spares seems OK to me, assuming a reasonable failure rate (>2 years
> aggregate mtbf)
>
> > Does anyone have any comments on:
> >
> > 1) The sanity of these 10 disk RAID 5's?
>
> if you're not worried about write performance, then sure.
> I had an 18x raid5 for a while, but decided it was too hostile
> to writes (iirc, a whole-stripe write was > 1MB)
>
> > 2) The degree of loss of reliability incurred by moving 3 disks from
> > global spare to data?
>
> spares do not increase reliability, they reduce the window of
> vulnerability when you do have a "partial lack of reliability"...
>
> > 3) The degree of loss of reliability incurred by moving 2 disks from
> > global spare to data?
>
> MTBF/ndisks hasn't changed here, at least for a particular raidset.
> the chance of simultaneous failures of 2+ disks in multiple raidsets
> seems pretty small...
>
> > They don't feel that the storage has to be blazing fast, and 100% uptime
> > isn't paramount, however they very much do not want to lose their data.
>
> but their "very much" doesn't extend to two-site mirroring, eh?

Correct, at least not mirroring provided by their admin.  :)  They -are-
advising that individual users back up what needs to be backed up
though.

> there are unfortunate phenomena that can lead to bad behavior in
> a server like this, even when you do the due-dilligence (mtbf calcs,
> spares, etc).  for instance, in the event of r5 failure, the spare
> will trigger a rebuild, which can stress the surviving disks enough
> to cause further failures.  oops!  I guess that's the main reason
> I like raid6 better.

Nod!  Especially if the RAID solution doesn't know to scan
unused/infrequently used blocks for problems periodically.

> > The filesystem will not be backed up - we simply don't have anything large
> > enough to back it up -to-, so if the some part of the storage solution
> > goes kerflooey, we're totally...  er...  out of luck, and they'll probably
> > be looking at me (the primary sysadmin on the storage configuration),
> > wondering why their data is gone.
>
> this is a sticky subject, to be sure.  I tell people not to think about
> backups, or if they do, to think more in terms of mirroring.  perhaps that
> reflects scars I bear from dealing with finicky/flakey/frustrating tape
> systems.  one good thing for you is that you say the files are fairly small,
> so you *could* spew them onto something like DVD's.  I'd treat that as
> an archive, not a backup, and not abandon normal raid5-6 practices.

Heh.  Saw an amusing ad with John Clease in it about the frustrations of
tape backup relative to disk to disk backup.

-