Re: RAID6 starts before RAID0 component - how to force the order?

On Friday August 5, trevor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'll keep this short and to the point and I'm hoping for a quick simple
> high-level answer from the gurus.  I don't need hand holding, so please
> take a quick look!
>
> I have a new RAID6 array.  A component of that array is a RAID0 sub-array.
> mdadm creates and rebuilds this multilevel array just fine.  Then I
> reboot.  Boot log shows RAID6 detected first, _THEN_ RAID0.  Thus RAID6 is
> degraded without its RAID0 component.
>
> The RAID0 array is fine/clean.  It's just a boot order problem I'm sure.
>
> How do I set/force the order that arrays are started at boot time?  When
> doing multi-level arrays, you would think either a) you can force it or b)
> it would be "smart" about it.

If you are depending on 'autodetect' with partition-type '0xfd', then
this won't work.
You should simply have mdadm assemble the arrays early in the boot
sequence.
If the raid0 is listed in mdadm before the raid6, then
   mdadm -As
should assemble them in the correct order.

NeilBrown

-