Re: RAID6 starts before RAID0 component - how to force the order?

I only have a suggestion, not a definitive answer by any means.. but you may want to try the latest 2.6.13-rc3-mmX (or maybe rc4-mmX), I believe it has some changes in it, regarding the scanning and initialization of multi-level arrays. I could be wrong though, but worth a shot in the day and age of 10 minute or less compiles :)

Tyler.

Trevor Cordes wrote:

I'll keep this short and to the point and I'm hoping for a quick simple high-level answer from the gurus. I don't need hand holding, so please take a quick look!

I have a new RAID6 array. A component of that array is a RAID0 sub-array. mdadm creates and rebuilds this multilevel array just fine. Then I reboot. Boot log shows RAID6 detected first, _THEN_ RAID0. Thus RAID6 is degraded without its RAID0 component.

The RAID0 array is fine/clean.  It's just a boot order problem I'm sure.

How do I set/force the order that arrays are started at boot time? When doing multi-level arrays, you would think either a) you can force it or b) it would be "smart" about it.

FC3 kernel-2.6.12-1.1372_FC3
using mdadm
no raidtab

Thanks!

PS #1: if this is a mailing list, please CC my email.
PS #2: I did google searches for 2 hours and there is ZILCH on this topic
-

-