Re: RAID 5 Grow

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 14:16, Simon Valiquette wrote:
> Forrest Taylor a écrit :
> > I am doing some RAID scenarios on a single disc (testing purposes) on
> > RHEL4.  I have some partitions as follows:
> >
> > /dev/hda5  100M
> > /dev/hda6  200M
> > /dev/hda7  200M
> > /dev/hda8  200M
> > /dev/hda9  200M
> >
> > I create a RAID 5 set with /dev/hda{5,6,7,8}.  I fail/remove /dev/hda5
> > and add /dev/hda9, at which point I can grow the RAID.  Running:
> >
> > mdadm -G /dev/md0 -z max
> >

>    Have you copied the data from hda5 to hda9 with dd?  If i remember,
> growing a RAID 5 that way is done by creating the missing stripes at
> the end of each disks.  If the array is already in degraded mode, I am
> not sure if mdadm is able to recover from that.

I pulled hda5 and added hda9, then I waited for it to resync.  It was
not in degraded mode when I tried to grow the RAID.  I did not copy any
data from hda5 to hda9.  In fact, I had it mounted, and I checked the
integrity of the data at each step.  I did not lose any data, nor did I
lose the RAID.  I don't think that I tried the grow with /dev/md0
unmounted, so it may be possible that having it mounted caused some
trouble.

Thanks,

Forrest
--