Re: Degraded raid5 returns mdadm: /dev/hdc5 has no superblock - assembly aborted

On Friday July 8, daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > On 7/8/05, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> >> What you want to do is start the array as degraded, using *only* the
> >> devices that were part of the disk set.  Substitute 'missing' for the
> >> last device if needed but, IIRC, you should be able to say just:
> >>
> >> ] mdadm --assemble --force /dev/md2 /dev/hd[abd]5
> >>
> >> Don't forget to fsck the filesystem thoroughly at this point. :)
> >
> > At this point, before adding the new disk, I'd suggest making *very*
> > sure that the event counters match on the three existing disks.
> > Because if they don't, MD will add the new disk with an event counter
> > matching the freshest disk in the array.  That will cause it to start
> > synchronizing onto one of the good disks instead of onto the newly
> > added disk....  Happened to me once, gah.
>
> Ack!  I didn't know that.  If the event counters don't match up, what
> can you do to correct the problem?

The "--assemble --force" should result in all the event counters of
the named drives being the same.  Then it should be perfectly safe the
add the new drive.

I cannot quite imagine a situation as described by Molle.  If it was
at all reproducible I'd love to hear more details.

NeilBrown
-