Re: Why does my drive get set readonly?

On Wednesday June 29, Ruth.Ivimey-Cook@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm hoping someone can help suggest where I might look to sort a problem. even
> a pointer is useful!
>
> I have three raid arrays, two raid1 and one raid5 called md2. Basically they
> run fine, but something is switching md2 readonly during the boot process; the
> only way I can get the machine to reboot is to remove md2 from fstab, boot
> single-user, do an "mdadm -w /dev/md2", then "init 5".
>
> I'm running Fedora 3 in a very standard configuration.
>
> Here's the dmesg output (with the new printk timestamp option enabled). Note
> the line just after the block of selinux calls.
>
> What could be setting it readonly?

Odd !!

> [4294696.943000] md: md2 switched to read-only mode.

In the mainline kernel, only two thing can cause this to happen.
1/ if an array is still active during shutdown, it will be switched to
   read-only.
2/ if some user-space program call the ioctl equivalent to "mdadm --readonly".

However it is possible that the Fedora-3 kernel does extra stuff
... maybe related to selinux ???

I would suggest asking in a Fedora-specific forum.

(feel froo to quote anything I have said there).

NeilBrown
-