RE: entire array lost when some blocks unreadable?

I have 17 scsi disks, all 18 Gig.  I run a full scan each night.  I find
about 1 error each week.  The rate was much lower until a few months ago.
Mostly the same few disks.  Anyway, the errors are corrected by the scan
before md finds them.  Otherwise the errors could sit dormant for months
waiting for md to find 1, then while re-building to the spare md would find
another and poof!  Array gone.  Manual override needed to correct.  Since I
starting the scanning, md has not found any bad blocks.

The sad part, this is why I say Linux is not ready for prime time.  Ok for
home use, but not a 24x7 system that my job depends on!!!  If my job depends
on it, get an external hardware RAID system with battery backed memory.

Please, someone fix the bad block problems!!!
Without kicking out the disk as part of the solution!!!

Guy

-