Re: Is there a drive error "retry" parameter?

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Michael Tokarev wrote:

> Raid code is quite stable and is used in alot of machines all over the
> world.  If you're expiriencing such a weird behaviour, I think it's due
> to some othe problem on your side, and the best would be to find and fix
> the real error, not the symptom.

Sometimes (not very often) a similar thing happens to my server - two of
the drives are marked faulty (seamingly at the same time).

Fortunately I have always been able to re-construct the array so my data
was intact (and there was no need for a week of backup restoration), but
it still is very annoying.

Each time after that happened I tested the failed disks with 'badblocks
-n', but there were no read/write errors. Unfortunately, libata doesn't
support SMART (in that version, at least).

To add some details, I'm using a Promise SATA150 TX4 controllers and 4
Maxtor 6Y200M0 SATA drives for a RAID5 array (holding most of the data).
Additionally there is an on-board Adaptec AIC-7901A U320 with two IBM
IC35L073UWDY10-0 for a RAID1 array (holding operating system, homes, ...).

The kernel is 2.6.8-24.11-smp, the OS is SuSE Linux 9.2.

  D.

-