md/RAID performance anomalies in 2.6 vs. 2.4

Apologies if this issue has long since been addressed, but I Just stumbled upon last December's description of md's unusual performance behavior between the 2.4 and 2.6 environments and in looking at Neil's graphs the thought crossed my mind that it might be memory-related (especially given his statement that he incorporated some new cache in the latter plus the fact that he was juggling aggregate bandwidth across two busses).

Specifically, while RAID-5's streaming-read performance can approach RAID-0's for a given number of drives in the array, it can only do so if there's sufficient memory to post requests far enough ahead to keep both busses saturated - which requires more buffer space than RAID-0 does because of the staggered nature of the data layout in RAID-5 (and consequent tendency to alternate between saturating each bus and leaving it partially idle while the other is saturated, in the manner first encountered at the 5-drive level in RAID-0, unless requests have been posted far enough ahead to take advantage of those otherwise unused bus cycles).

Starting at the 6-drive level in his read throughput graph, it seems possible that the 2.4 configuration is providing more read-ahead buffer space for RAID-5 than the 2.6 configuration does (perhaps as a result of the new RAID cache which he has used in the latter) and thus allowing better smoothing across both busses (whereas for RAID-0 his new cache may be responsible for the smoother read performance above 6 drives than was the case in 2.4; RAID-6 might be expected to be less subject to either effect, if its two parity segments in each stripe are adjacent and thus guaranteed to be on separate busses). I don't recall his stating whether he had drive-level opportunistic read-ahead enabled, nor am I sure how it might (or might not) affect things if it was.

But I suspect that he did not have drive-level write-back caching enabled, and that makes the sudden dip in RAID-0 2.6 write performance at the 5-drive level suggestive of bus imbalance as well, again perhaps occasioned by a scarcity of write buffer space, possibly again due to the new cache level (and might also help explain the RAID-5 write-throughput differences between the two versions, though I really haven't thought either situation through very well). The fact that the anomalous RAID-0 behavior disappeared on retest seems strange unless the drives' write-back caching might have been enabled for that second run (yes, seems unlikely).

- bill
-