Re: Raid 1 install revealed poor HD performance (I think)

That's more like what we were expecting!

I can't tell you why its like that or how, but this *is* the typical
problem with IDE. Most likely the chipset is being detected incorrectly,
or its being detected correctly but there is some errata that's
disabling dma, or maybe dma is experimental for the card.

Places to look for information are in the dmesg for the sis chipset's
detection diagnostics, then on the internet as a google for your sis
chipset number then "linux dma" maybe. You may end up with some ide
things on your kernel command line (via grub or lilo)

I'll reiterate something I said previously though, other than
write-caching (which is potentially dangerous) none of the other hdparm
or IDE settings are really going to give you that much of a boost unless
your workload is specifically tunable. They're all just little minor
twiddles you can do - nothing even close to the difference between
having DMA or not. So I'd just focus on enabling DMA. The other stuff is
all uninteresting compared to it.

-Mike

-