Re: Raid 1 install revealed poor HD performance (I think)

All colo facilities are required to have a complete power cut-off switch
for fire fighter safety. Its behind the UPS stacks, specifically so that
they know the racks aren't energized before they go in.

Apparently, the big red button that activates this cutoff is an easy
target for people to accidentally lean on or similar, so all power goes
down immediately.

http://www.google.com/search?q=data+corruption+colocation+power+cut+off+write+caching

As an example, the first result there is for wikipedia, which you've
probably heard of ;-)

LiveJournal (another huge site) was also bit by this.

Bottom line is, if you are in a colo, there must be a switch between all
power service and your machines, so you are susceptible

Posted back to linux-raid for general interest. Maybe everyone else
isn't interested, but I'm fascinated by gotchas. I'm sure at least a few
others...

-Mike

-