Re: Bug report: mdadm -E oddity

i would like to add some comments
On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 09:28:35AM -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:
Actually, what I'm working on is Fedora Core 4 and the boot up sequence.
Specifically, I'm trying to get the use of mdadm -As acceptable as the
hint, mdassemble :)

So, here's some of the feedback I've gotten about this and the
constraints I'm working under as a result:
initrd should be used to mount root filesystem, handling other stuff in
initrd is just asking for more trouble

    1. People don't want to remake initrd images and update mdadm.conf
       files with every raid change.  So, the scan facility needs to
       properly handled unknown arrays (it doesn't currently).
do really people change the UUID of the array containing / that often?

    2. People don't want to have a degraded array not get started (this
       isn't a problem as far as I can tell).
what would be the issue causing this.

3. Udev throws some kinks in things because the raid startup is
       i run udevstart in initrd after loading modules and before
       assembling md's. if nash was a better shell, i could use udev
       instead of udevstart

have completed). However, with the advent of stacked md
       mdadm should create device files for md arrays if you ask it to,
       is this what you are after or are there other issues

4. Currently, the default number of partitions on a partitionable
       numbers relative to how the array was created.  I would suggest
       encoding this somewhere in the superblock and then setting this
       to 0 on normal arrays and non-0 for partitionable arrays and
       that becomes your flag that determines whether an array is
       partitionable.
       agreed

    5. I would like to be able to support dynamic multipath in the
       initrd image.  In order to do this properly, I need the ability

i don't like using fc for boot disks, so i never tried, and i'll just shut up.

-- Luca Berra -- bluca@xxxxxxxxxx Communication Media & Services S.r.l. /"\ \ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN X AGAINST HTML MAIL / \ - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-raid" in the body of a message to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html