Re: Failed RAID5

On Thursday May 12, janaka@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I am trying to rebuild a failed raid 5.  I have one disk
> that's bad, and one disk that, in the confusion, has become
> convinced that it is a spare.  I don't know where it got
> this idea, but I have drive "mdadm --assemble --force
> /dev/md2 /dev/hda3 /dev/hdc3 /dev/hde3 /dev/hdg3 /dev/hdi3
> /dev/hdk3" as well as "mkraid --force /dev/md2" and my
> raidtab hasn't changed except to state that HDA has failed.
>
> Is there anyway for me to force the "spare disk" to
> reconsider its purpose in life?  Which is presently to make
> my data accessable so I can move to raid 10 or some other
> more simple raid format.
>
> I mean, I am sure it is some bit in the superblock that is
> miss set, but how do I fix that?

If you are confident that you know what belongs where, then the best
thing is to recreate the array. Make sure you leave a "missing" device
so that it doesn't do a resync.
e.g.

  mdadm --create /dev/md2 -l5 -n6 /dev/hda3 /dev/hdc3 /dev/hde3 \
      missing /dev/hdi3 /dev/hdk3

or whatever happens to be right in your situation.
This will rewrite all superblocks but will not touch any data (unless
you try to write to md2).
I suggest that after this you "fsck -n" the make sure the data looks
reasonably OK, and if it does, mount read-only and copy the data off.

If fsck thinks it is trash, then maybe you got the order wrong.  Just
"mdadm -S /dev/md2" and try again.

NeilBrown
-