mdadm oddity.

I noticed a slight oddity on one of my servers: when I start "mdadm --monitor --scan" I get only the "NewArray" message. On the other server I get a "NewArray" then a "SparesMissing" message, for each RAID partition. Neither server has spares. Both servers have a pair of SCSI drives in a RAID-1 configuration for all of the partitions.

Well, the real oddity is actually that the other server only reports a NewArray -- because I see in the ChangeLog mdadm is _supposed_ to report both NewArray and SparesMissing. But until I turned up the second server I only ever got NewArray from mdadm, so that was something new.

Investigating this I discovered that I get a SparesMissing message if I explicitly enumerate all my RAID partitions in mdadm.conf (mdadm 1.5.0). If I don't list my partitions in mdadm.conf, mdadm still finds them, but then reports only a NewArray message. Does that sound right?