Re: BUGREPORT: mdadm v2.0-devel - Examine and zero-superblock misbehaving

On Tuesday May 3, pml@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> On a site note, mdadm --zero-superblock doesn't seem to work correctly
> with mdadm v2.0-devel, it reports no error when you use it, but you can
> mdadm -E /dev/hdX after using it, and there is still a superblock, if
> you use mdadm v1.9.0-2, it works correctly, and the examine shows
> nothing afterwards.  Examples follow after the first problem.  Mdadm
> v2.0 also seems to misreport the findings using the examine function..
> "381 spares."  Using kernel 2.6.12-rc3-mm2.
>
> First i run zero superblock with mdadm v2.0-devel from current dir:
>
> root@localhost:~/dev/mdadm-2.0-devel-1# ./mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/hdc
>
> Then examine the superblock using mdadm v2.0-devel from current dir:
>
> root@localhost:~/dev/mdadm-2.0-devel-1# ./mdadm -E /dev/hdc
> /dev/hdc:
>           Magic : a92b4efc
>         Version : 01.00

What has happened here is that "mdadm --zero-superblock" found a
version 0.90 superblock and zeroed it.  There was still a version 1
superblock (which lives in a different location). and -E found that.
If you run --zero-superblock serveral times it should zero everything,
though normally you would not expect to have multiple superblocks.

>    Array State : Uuu 381 spares

Not sure about this.  I'll have to spend  a while reminding my self
what is meant to happen, and what actually does...

NeilBrown
-