Re: Questions about software RAID

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 04:27:14PM +0100, David Greaves wrote:

> Hervé Eychenne wrote:
> >On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 01:00:11PM +0200, bernd@xxxxxx wrote:
> >>First you have to look if there are partitions on that disk to which no
> >>data was written since the disk failed (this typically concerns the swap
> >>partition). These partitions have to be marked faulty by hand using mdadm
> >>-f
> >>before you can remove them with mdadm -r.
> >

> >Ok, but how do you automate/simplify that?

> EVMS?

I didn't experience this yet.  By I currently have RAID1 setup with
mdadm at hand, and I must deal with it...

> Or some other enterprise volume manager

No, thanks. ;-)
I prefer taking time to improve free (as a speech) tools than turning
to other solutions.

> >A script with a while loop and some grep,sed commands? A grep on what
> >exactly? (this kind of precise information seems to be written nowhere in
> >the manpage of the HOWTOs)

> You're talking about specific configs - not all sysadmins will want to
> do this.

Of course not all sysadmins will want to do this, but that's not
really the question... The question is "why not provide something simple
to those who want?"

> And those who do can type:
>   fdisk -l /dev/sda | grep -i fd | cut -f1 -d' ' | xargs -n1 mdadm -r

I really don't like kludgy things like that...
What if the string fd is present in another line? No, that's really
ugly, sorry. Ok, maybe you'll come one day with a better command
line. But then it will be too complex to remember. So you'll tell me to
save it in a script. But that script will stay a bit kludgy anyway
and it will not be present on any Linux box.
Isn't the insertion/removal of a disk common enough to justify the
addition of a simple and clean mdadm option?

 Herve

--
 _
(°=  Hervé Eychenne