Re: RAID 5 disks not spinning down

Brad Campbell wrote:
Alexander Stockinger wrote:

Hi all,

I have a linux software RAID 5 running on a Debian Sarge with 2.6.7-smp. Since I installed the system (several kernel updates ago) the disks of the RAID 5 won't stay spinned down. Having them sent to standy manually using hdparm ends up in having the disks spin up within the next minute or so.
To further investigate the problem I watched the /proc/diskstats file for /dev/md0 and realized that prior to the spinup a single read access to the RAID is issued - consequently the disks attached to the read spin up again...

Does it occur if you have the filesystem on the md device unmounted?

No, drives stay down when the mount point of /dev/md0 is unmounted. So it's probably an application accessing something on the disks? But how do I determine what is accessed? dnotify reports _nothing_...

Regards, Brad

Thanks, Alex

-