Re: now on to tuning....

hi peter

peter.greis@xxxxxxx wrote:
I have been lurking for a while.... I recently put together a raid 5
system (Asus K8NE SIL 3114/2.6.8.1 kernel) with 4 300GB SATA Seagate
drives (a lot smaller than the bulk of what seems to be on this
list!). Currently this is used for video and mp3 storage, being
Reiser on LVM2.

beware that LVM2 _can_ affect your performance. I too believed that the concept of dynamic drives is good, but I experienced a performance hit of about 50% (especially in sequential reads).

see my blog entry describing how I built my 2TB file-server at http://variant.ch/phpwiki/WikiBlog/2005-02-27 for some numbers and more explanation.

the K8NE has the same SiI 3114 controller as the board I used has; it is connected by a 33mhz 32bit PCI bus and maxes out at 133MiB/s, so for maxmimum performance you might want to connect only two drives to this controller, the other two to the nforce3 chipset SATA ports.

Bonnie++ to test, but with which parameters ?

normally it's enough to specify a test-file larger (e.g. twice) the memory capacity of the machine you are testing. for a machine with 1GiB RAM:

# bonnie++ -s 2gb {other options}

you might as well want to specify the "fast" option which skips per-char operations (which are quite useless to test IMHO):

# bonnie++ -f {other options}

HTH
nicola
-