Re: Spare disk could not sleep / standby

Neil Brown wrote:

On Monday March 7, bugzilla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I have no idea, but...

Is the disk IO reads or writes. If writes, scary!!!! Maybe data destined
for the array goes to the spare sometimes. I hope not. I feel safe with my
2.4 kernel. :)

It is writes, but don't be scared. It is just super-block updates.

In 2.6, the superblock is marked 'clean' whenever there is a period of
about 20ms of no write activity.  This increases the chance on a
resync won't be needed after a crash.
(unfortunately) the superblocks on the spares need to be updated too.

The only way around this that I can think of is to have the spares
attached to some other array, and have mdadm monitoring the situation
and using the SpareGroup functionality to move the spare to where it
is needed when it is needed.
This would really require having and array with spare drives but no
data drives... maybe a 1-drive raid1 with a loopback device as the
main drive, and all the spares attached to that..... there must be a
better way, or atleast some sensible support in mdadm to make it not
too horrible.  I'll think about it.

While updating superblocks, faulty disks are skipped. Maybe skipping superblock update on spares could be considered. Of course, this requires conresponding changes in md superblock validation code.

In addition, I would suggest to treat spares as shared global disks. That is a spare can be referenced by more than 1 md array. After a spare is selected to recover a degraded array, it will be removed from the shared list. I know that this suggestion is away from the SpareGroup functionality used by mdadm. But I am afraid that there is timing issue with monitoring /proc/mdstat.

--
Regards,
Mike T.

-