Write Order Restrictions

Hi,

I work with a research teams that automatically checks file systems and block devices for bugs, and I have a question regarding the possible write orderings for Linux soft raid devices. From the code it seems that sync forces the block devices that make up a raid device to be synced one after the other.
However, for general writes, any type of ordering is possible, because the driver just cycles through all devices that make up a soft raid device and just calls generic_make_request on them. Is this correct, or does some other function involved in the write process (starting from the soft raid level down) actually wait on buffers to enforce restrictions that e.g. cause blocks for one disk to be written before those of another?

Thank you very much for any help and clarifications,
Can Sar

-