Re: Joys of spare disks!

Jon Lewis wrote:
Are you aware Maxtor had a bad batch(es?) of large SATA drives?  We have a
few machines with 6 Maxtor 6Y200M0 drives and got a couple bad drives.
They have a utility program (powermax) you can run that will tell you if
any of your drives are bad.  The bad ones will appear to work...but not
entirely reliably.  i.e. the system I installed that had 1 bad drive could
not resync the RAID5.  It would always either crash or lock up during the
resync.

I experienced just those symptoms with some of the drives I've had. I've used powermax to identify bad disks and RMA'd them. I can't remember if any of the replacement drives have failed as well - I seem to think they have but I could be imagining that.

I've had loads of problems with MaxLine II 250GB SATA drives and wouldn't buy them again. But as long as they keep RMA'ing them I'm happy to stick with them for now.

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

-