Missing compent in RAID.

I have a system with an Adaptec 2100S SCSI RAID controller. It's been
doing well until recently. The system boots, sees the RAID array and lists
it and the spare disk. However, it then (sometimes!) has an error during
boot or while the system is running. If I go to the Adaptec BIOS I see that
all drives are marked as "missing compenent".

This does not happen all the time - sometimes it won't boot because it can't
find the drives, other times it finds the RAID and drives, boots, runs and
then the drives are missing. I checked the cables and caddies for the
drives, checked to make sure the RAID card was seated.

Any ideas on what might me happening and how to fix it would be appreciated.
The system is Win XP Pro, Asus motherboard with ALI chipset, 3Com 3c980 NIC,
Santa Cruz sound card, and a GeForce video card.

Thank you.

--
Brett I. Holcomb
brettholcomb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx