Re: Tyan, RAID-6, and other recent hassles... (long, a bit OT)

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005, berk walker wrote:

> [I usually do not spend bandwidth in quoting big stuff, but your's might
> be worth it]
> Properly chastised.  One CAN do net raid, 4,000 [where's my pound key?]
> is still a lot to me, [don't forget my name IS berk :)]

Thats for 2 servers, remember. Worry not though! I didn't post the full
background of this one, so it might have been easy to come to the wrong
conclusions.

> One doesn't always get what one pays for - but one usually pays for what
> one gets.

> Too bad that you're not stateside.  I really like your attitude
> [email-wise], and would hunt you down for a job [mine sux].

I spent 2 years working in the US once upon a time... Not sure I'd like to
go back! I've spent a lot of time working with startup companies in the
past (present and likely future!) it's a funny old business. Sometimes you
get a group that seem to do well, but fail in some odd way, sometimes
people fail, pick themselves up, fail, etc. (And some just deserve to die,
be burried and totally forgotten about!!!)

The new box was installed yesterday and has been running disk & network
tests for a while and so-far so good. I don't have Gb Ethernet in my home
office, so hadn't had a chace to test it at full line speeds, bu right now
it's going well. I typically run multiple copies of bonnie and wget
to/from another server to thrash the networking, then will do stuff via
NFS, transfer big files, checksum them, etc. as well as lots of little
files. Anyone have a good solid testsuite then like to run?

Cheers,

Gordon
-