Re: Tyan, RAID-6, and other recent hassles... (long, a bit OT)

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005, Bernd Schubert wrote:
>> Mobo was a Tyan Thunder K8W. (S2885)
>
>personally I'm very disappointed about Tyan, well I only know their
>opteron mainboards, but thats already sufficient to never buy their
>mainboards again.

You're doing yurself a huge disservice based on very little experience.
Using one or two of a manufacturer's MBs is not sufficient grounds to
blacklist them.  Tyan sells a lot of these boards.  If there were serious
stability problems with them, tyan wouldn't be shipping them.

Tyan makes very good hardware.  I don't know what your problems are,
but I've never had any such problems.  I've used Tyan hardware for
a decade.  Yes, they've made a few mistakes over the years -- bad
SIMM slots on the earily tomcat boards, using a VIA chipset for the
tiger 133...

>Server B (failover): S2880, as soon as a cable is plugged in into one of
>the onboard broadcom NICs, the system crashes. Broadcom driver doesn't
>need to be loaded, system may already crash during the pre-boot
>initialisation or later on during the kernel boot-procedure.

I've seen a few systems do this.  It was due to bad memory and bad memory
configuration (BIOS).  Those systems (i7501's) have been running fine
(over a year now) since replacing the RAM with Tyan "ok'ed" memory and
disabling "spread spectrum" in the chipset.

--Ricky

-