Re: patches for mdadm 1.8.0 (auto=dev and stacking of devices)

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 07:52:53PM +0100, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
Luca Berra <bluca@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I believe the correct solution to this would be implementing a char-misc

<snip>

Making special device files "on demand" requires the cooperation of the
driver and devfs (and since udev apparently replaces devfs, udev). One
would need to add the code to the driver.

devfs just created 256 /dev/md/<minor> entries, and that was obnoxyous, besides now we have mdp devices, and one of the aims of udev was avoiding /dev pollution with un-needed nodes.

>BTW, is there a real need to do that?  In theory, one might just
>create the necessary /dev/md1 from within startup script...
I would have done it in a script if --auto was not implemented, the
changes to have auto=dev are not big, mostly man page and indenting.

I'm not sure I follow that. If I understand you, --auto was what you added to mdadm to make the special device files.
nope,
--auto was added by Neil some time ago, it is mostly needed for mdp
devices, i just added the "dev" option to --auto.

Personally I would prefer there to be no unannounced making of device
files, but yours is an extra flag so it does no harm in that sense.
However, I think it is a mistaken addition.  You can see that by asking
yourself why EVERY control utility does not have that option in it.
Hdparm?  Fdisk?

The answer is: because it's (a) silly, (b) none of its business. And
the same applies here. If the sysadmin does not want a dev file, then
let him be. If he wants one, let him make it.
you should have told Neil back then.

However, as a matter of convenience, I would prefer that the driver
made the devices in /dev or /sys or wherever if it can. I don't recall
if the code is there or not!
yes, but then you would need the char device trick.

Is there a udev document anywhere? I searched in 2.6.8.1 and found
nothing (I won't burden you with the details of my obviously too
cursory search).

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug

L.

--
Luca Berra -- bluca@xxxxxxxxxx
       Communication Media & Services S.r.l.