Re: Spares and partitioning huge disks

Ah, that does sound much better I agree ... having just been bitten by
the 'oh dear, I got one bit was out of place, bye bye disk' problem
myself.

Even if it only 'failed' a 'chunk', it would be an improvement. I'll
take 64K over 60GB any day. The read for the chunk could then be
calculated using parity and a notification sent upwards saying
something to this effect: 'uh, hey, I'm having to regenerate data from
disk N at area X on-the-fly (i.e. I'm 'degraded') but all disks are
still with us and the other data is not in harms way, you might want
to think about backups and possibly a new disk'. If the chunk/sector
(choose how much you want to fail) can then be read again, clear the
'alert'. Of course if you get two identical chunks that miss-read,
you're screwed. Probably less screwed than if it were whole disk
though.

Derek

Derek Piper - derek.piper@xxxxxxxxx
http://doofer.org/